Participant Guide for Beiwe App - Android
• To login, you will need to enter the password that you selected at the time when the application was installed and registered in the study at the clinic with the researcher. Then click “Login”.
• You will then be directed to the Beiwe welcome screen.
• If you enter your password incorrectly, you will receive the Alert below that states “Incorrect Password”. Hit the “OK” button and attempt to enter your password again.
• If you cannot remember your password, click the “Forgot Password” Button on the main screen. This will take you to a screen that prompts you to call the research assistant for the study to reset your password. Just click the green phone icon, and your phone will dial out to the research assistant with the phone number that was entered when the app was installed and registered in the study. Your Patient ID is given on this screen, so you can refer to it when talking with the research assistant, instead of using your name. The research assistant will then give you a new temporary password, and then you can pick your new permanent password.
• Complete surveys by clicking on the notifications that will appear on both the “locked screen” and “unlocked screen”. These notifications will remain there until the surveys are complete. In case you are not able to do the survey immediately, the notification will remain on your screen as a reminder.
• When you click on the notification, you will be directed the Login screen, and you will need to enter your password to access the survey.
• Complete the survey and hit the “Submit” Button at the bottom of the screen. You will then see a message indicating that your survey has been submitted.
Voice Recording Page
The Voice Recording page will prompt you to discuss a topic for a period of time.
• When you are ready, please press ‘Record’ and speak for about 2 minutes.
• Press ‘Stop’ and ‘Done’ when you are finished. The recording will stop automatically after 4 minutes.
• Remember, researchers will not review and analyze your data until the end of the study, so if you are ill or in danger and need to speak with your clinician, press the ‘Call My Clinician’ button.
"Call My Clinician" Button
The “Call My Clinician” button is available from the Beiwe main screen, menu, and voice recording pages.
• When you click the button, your phone will dial out to the clinician’s number that was entered into the phone during the installation and registration process at the clinic.
The Beiwe Menu allows you reach the following areas of the application:
• Call My Clinician
- Participants can use this feature (described above) to contact their clinician.
• Call Research Assistant
- Participants can use the “Call Research Assistant” feature to contact study staff to ask any questions, or report any issues with the application.
• About This App
- This page contains the information about the study that is at the start of this guide.
• Change Password
- Participants are able to change their current password at any time by using this feature.
• View Survey Answers
- Beiwe does not store data on your phone, so the image you see on the “View past survey results” is generated and stored on a secure, remote server. It takes a day for your survey answers to be updated on the server. Only surveys that use the quantifiable numerical slider question format will be able to be displayed visually in this section. If the study you are participating in only uses radio buttons, check boxes, or free response text survey questions, your survey results will not be available.